Norton Core Secure Wi-Fi Router Now Available to U.S. Consumers
- Norton Core designed with security in mind to help protect connected home devices
- Previously only available for pre-order, Norton Core units are currently shipping and available for immediate purchase on Norton.com, Amazon and Best Buy
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – August 17, 2017 – First introduced at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Norton Core, a secure, high-performance Wi-Fi router, fundamentally changed the concept of Wi-Fi routers by making security the primary consideration. Today, Norton by Symantec (NASDAQ: SYMC) is proud to announce that Norton Core is currently available for purchase in the U.S. at Norton.com, BestBuy.com and Amazon.com, and in select Best Buy stores nationwide.
There is an increasing need to provide consumers with a digital safety solution to protect their home networks and the connected devices that power their homes. Sixty-two percent of consumers globally believe connected devices are built with security in mind1. However, Symantec researchers identified security vulnerabilities in 50 different connected home devices2, ranging from smart thermostats to smart hubs that could make the devices easy targets for attacks. Additionally, Symantec researchers found the number of attempted attacks on IoT devices increased twofold from January to December 20163.
“This is an exciting day for Symantec and for consumer digital safety,” said Fran Rosch, executive vice president and general manager, Consumer Business, Symantec. “As the Internet of Things industry continues to evolve, connected homes become more common, and devices within homes continue to multiply, it’s vital that consumers have a way to protect their family’s connected devices from new and sophisticated attacks.”
Norton Core is an exceptional new security solution that helps protect home networks – and an unlimited number of connected devices, including computers and mobile devices – from malware, viruses, hackers, and cybercriminals4. Designed in the form of a geodesic dome and inspired by defense and weather radars deployed in the extreme reaches of the globe, Norton Core’s unique mathematical design encourages users to place it out in the open, as part of their home décor.
In addition to its strong security capabilities and elegant design, Norton Core offers customizable parental controls allowing parents the flexibility to set parameters that work for their family. Daily internet usage limits for each child, filters for accessible content, and a pause button are some of the features parents may enjoy customizing based on their family needs.
Digital Safety in a High-Performance, Uniquely Designed Geodesic Dome
Unlike conventional routers, Norton Core was built specifically with security in mind to protect connected homes. With network packet inspection, combined with intelligence from a global threat database, Norton Core can help fend off threats before they infiltrate a home network. Norton Core brings the benefit of speed, comprehensive Wi-Fi coverage and reliability along with these additional key product highlights5:
- State-of-the-art Security—At the Network Level -- Norton Core keeps your devices and home network protected. With its network level protection, Norton Core uses deep packet inspection to inspect all traffic it deems untrusted or risky and provides protection against possible intrusions with its intrusion detection and prevention engines.
- A Highly Secure Router -- From comprehensive data encryption to real-time software updates, Norton Core fundamentally changes the equation to extend protection to Wi-Fi routers.
- Smart Parental Controls -- Flexible, powerful tools for parents to monitor and manage screen time for each child, control time limits by device, and set content filters. The entire network can even be paused.
- Security Score -- Provides users with a readout on their network’s weaknesses and timely insights and advice on ways to improve their score.
- Bandwidth Optimization -- Gives priority to any device or activity in the house with the touch of a button, so a movie can quickly be prioritized over a game console.
- Guest Access -- Create secure guest networks easily, with time limits. When time is up, users can simply extend access or let the guest network disappear.
Pricing and Availability
Norton Core is currently available for purchase online for $279.99 at Norton.com, BestBuy.com and Amazon.com, as well as select Best Buy stores nationwide. Purchase of Norton Core, available in Titanium Gold and Granite Gray, comes bundled with a one-year complimentary subscription to Norton Core Security Plus, which includes protection for an unlimited number of connected devices such as laptops, desktops, Macs, Android and iOS smartphones, tablets and IoT/connected devices. After the first year, a subscription renewal will be $9.99/month. To learn more, visit us.norton.com/core.
Norton Core Awards and Accolades
Norton Core is the recipient of several awards and recognition including:
- Wall Street Journal Best of CES 2017
- CNET All the Cool New Gadgets at CES 2017
- ZDNet Best Smart Home, IoT Products of CES 2017
- Techlicious Top Picks of CES 2017 Awards
- Tom’s Guide CES 2017 Awards, Best New Tech
- Edison Awards, Silver, Wireless Solutions
Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ:SYMC), the world’s leading cyber security company, helps organizations, governments and people secure their most important data wherever it lives. Organizations across the world look to Symantec for strategic, integrated solutions to defend against sophisticated attacks across endpoints, cloud and infrastructure. Likewise, a global community of more than 50 million people and families rely on Symantec’s Norton and LifeLock product suites to protect their digital lives at home and across their devices. For additional information, please visit www.symantec.com or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
1Norton Cyber Security Insights Report (2016).
2Ballano Barcena, M., & Wueest, C. (2016). Insecurity in the Internet of Things, Symantec [White paper]
3Symantec Internet Security Threat Report (2017).
4Subscription renewal is required for security and parental control features after the complimentary subscription term. Usage and other restrictions apply.
5Maximum wireless data rate is derived from IEEE standards 802.11 specifications. Actual data speed and range may vary due to factors such as network conditions, building construction, obstacles and interference. Deep packet inspection, a security feature, also affects speed.